Home improvement programs are a popular pastime for many households. Fixer Upper is a popular show that focuses on renovation and interior design. They redesign homes for different clients and feature design software in most of their episodes.
One of the leading design software is SketchUp, which develops new designs. SketchUp is a popular web application used for interior design, industrial engineering, and overall architecture.
Many viewers always wondered how the couple came up with those great designs. Wonder no more. This article looks at the type of software they use. Read on, learn, and be informed.
What Is Design Software Used On Fixer Upper?
There are several programs used in Fixer Upper. However, the design software used in SketchUp. They are known for their extensive apps, which can be costly. Their cheapest package goes for $119 annually, with the most expensive one going for $700.
If the extensive features of SketchUp Pro are any indication, Fixer Upper uses it. Expensive as it is, SketchUp is a joint program in the building world.
History Of SketchUp
SketchUp is a program geared toward illustrating and designing in 3D. It covers many applications, including interior design, overall architecture, and landscaping.
This 23-year-old company has changed the architecture and design industry. @Last software was built and conceived this software in 1999.
Under the leadership of its founders, B. Schell and J. Esch, SketchUp has been recognized with a couple of industry awards.
Community Choice Award at a trade show in 2000 and Best Of Show at Macworld two years later. The latter was because of the successful macOS release.
In 2006 @Last software became part of the google fraternity. Since then, SketchUp has grown to be one of the best 3D drawing and design programs in the industry today.
Google launched the free version of Google SketchUp, SketchUp 7, and SketchUp 8 in 2007, 2008, and 2010.
In 2012, SketchUp found a new home in Trimble Inc, formerly Trimble Navigation. It launched a 2013 version of SketchUp a year later.
Besides the free version, SketchUp comes in three packages: Shop, Pro, and Studio.
That is a bounty subscription that is designed with DIY projects in mind. It’s suitable for small-scale house designs rather than large-scale commercial ventures. You may only use this subscription on web browsers with an internet connection.
Their 3D warehouse, import and export, limitless storage, 3D printer interface, and other functions are available to you. The cost of the subscription is $119. That is the most affordable subscription package.
SketchUp Pro is one of the most favored CAD software today. It is easy to use, but it also comes with various features.
Virtual Reality mode, which allows simulations, is one of the characteristics that stand out. It also allows for the creation of 3D and 2D graphics and designs.
Subscribers get limitless access to a 3D warehouse and various finishes and templates, animations, and other features. It has a $299 yearly charge and may be utilized for large, professional projects.
The studio package is the most expensive subscription for SketchUp. It is convenient for the largest scale commercial projects. The studio is designed with all the features in Pro and Shop plus more.
It allows exporting animations and images, creates realistic models, and generates simulations for real-time walkthroughs. It costs $699, thanks to the added features and unlimited cloud storage capacity.
Trimble has created student-friendly packages for schools and higher education institutions. They have a free package for high schools and an affordable higher education alternative of $55 annually.
If you are new to CAD, their free package will be helpful. Although it is limited in features, it has enough material to get you started. With 10GB of cloud storage and STL file export, you will learn a lot.
Advantages Of SketchUp
SketchUp has made it easier to design and bring ideas to life. Interior designers, engineers, and architects agree that SketchUp has many benefits. Here are some examples.
- It’s is easy to use the tool because it is created to act as part of your limbs while sketching and designing.
- Thanks to this CAD tool’s 3D design and printing capabilities, the resulting design has a realistic feel.
- It offers a variety according to your preferences or that of a client. The different templates and textures, as well as multiple features, accommodate different tastes.
- You can incorporate different software while designing and drawing. SketchUp can also adapt to different plugins.
- Sketch allows users and subscribers to feature their designs on the Google Earth site.
Disadvantages Of SketchUp
Unfortunately, just like most CAD programs, this SketchUp has some drawbacks.
- It’s not the ideal solution for complex curves; therefore, you’ll need to utilize various plugins or software.
- It is limited when it comes to handling large geometry and multiple textures.
Alternatives to SketchUp
SketchUp is a unique application, but it isn’t the only one that will match your needs. Some alternatives are cheaper and equipped with more features.
Shapr3D is great CAD software that is an easy replacement for SketchUp. Like its competitor, it is easy to use and has a user-friendly interface. You can use it to alter and revise projects in 2D and 3D.
You can also explore and import files in different formats. Although it was created for iPad and Apple Pencil, it is now cross-platform. One of the main reasons Shapr3D gives SketchUp a run for its money is its portability.
SketchUp Studio is overwhelming, so the ActCAD Professional is a worthy alternative. This CAD program for professionals comes with several tools and templates.
Unlike SketchUp, which uses a Siemens engine, ActCAD uses IntelliCAD 9.2 Engine. It also has 3D and 2D modeling as well as document converters.
Another SketchUp alternative with excellent VR features and a powerful 3D printing model is this one. Like SketchUp, it is easy to use, and most of its functions, such as visualization, are automated.
You can download this CAD tool you will be able to enjoy easy animation and extensive documentation.
Although it does not have a free version, Autodesk Inventor has a free trial, plus you can opt for a 3-year plan for maximum savings.
This software has become one of the favorites for interior designers and architects. It has an extensive archive of components, templates, and alphanumeric characters. These tools make it easier for users to complete tasks, whether beginners or pros.
TinkerCAD can create 3D designs within minutes thanks to the 3D printing feature and overall functionality.
This CAD software has been designed to offer what SketchUp can and more. You can use it to create, edit and manipulate designs. In addition, you may change the many factors in the designs and overall design.
DraftSight contains a large library of templates and shapes, and documentation. That designs can be used as a starting point for new ones.
Why Use Design Software?
Whether you’re building a house or deciding on the interior layout, design is a part of everyday life. Until recently, the design was done entirely by hand.
Things have changed as a result of technological advancements. Here are reasons why design programs are crucial.
- Design software can create realistic 3D designs. You can build a 3D model from scratch or use a 2D illustration to create a 3D design.
- Design software is easy to use. Design software is a breeze for most users, especially those familiar with the general design.
- You can duplicate and share designs. Design programs make it easy for users to share one design with multiple people within a specific office building. Different offices have access to multiple designs at the same time.
- Apart from organizations sharing the design, Software programs allow designers to share globally in real-time. Unlike manual designs, the software makes sharing projects within the same program easy.
- Design software makes it easy to edit and manipulate designs. Thanks to documentation, most of these changes are saved. That means you can keep track and reduce the likelihood of progress loss.
- Cloud storage makes it easy to secure files. That means that You can limit access to such files to certain quarters. It also shares the design from unwarranted editing.
There is multiple design software in the market today. SketchUp has been a favorite used in the manufacturing and design industry for over two decades.
Fixer Upper is one of the popular TV shows that put this application to work by coming up with different and functional home improvement designs.
Yet, design programs keep growing and taking over manual processes. They are simple to use and make the design process efficient and convenient. Fixer Upper has proven this point. We trust you found this post interesting and eye-opening.