Are you a gamer looking to play online with friends or strangers? If you’re a PlayStation user, you may be wondering if you need a PlayStation Plus subscription to access online gameplay. It’s a common question, and the answer is not a straightforward one. In this article, we’ll explore the ins and outs of PlayStation Plus and online gaming, and help you determine if a subscription is necessary for your gaming needs. From the benefits of having a PlayStation Plus subscription to the games that require it, we’ll cover everything you need to know to make an informed decision. So, if you’re ready to level up your gaming experience, let’s dive in and discover if you need PlayStation Plus to play online.
Do You Need Playstation Plus To Play Online?
Yes, you do need a PlayStation Plus subscription to play online on your PlayStation console. PlayStation Plus is a subscription-based service offered by Sony for its PlayStation gaming consoles. It not only allows you to play online multiplayer games but also provides a number of other benefits such as free monthly games, early access to demos and betas, and exclusive discounts on PlayStation Store purchases.
What Does PlayStation Plus Offer?
Before we dive into whether or not you need PlayStation Plus to play online, let’s take a closer look at what the service offers. In addition to online play, a PlayStation Plus subscription provides access to a range of other benefits, including:
Each month, PlayStation Plus members can download a selection of free games for the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and PlayStation VR. These games are yours to keep as long as you have an active PlayStation Plus subscription.
Early Access to Demos:
PlayStation Plus members are often given early access to game demos and betas, providing a sneak peek at upcoming titles before they’re released to the general public.
Discounts on PlayStation Store Purchases:
PlayStation Plus members can enjoy exclusive discounts on digital games, DLC, and other content available on the PlayStation Store.
PlayStation Plus members get access to online cloud storage, allowing them to save their game progress and settings to the cloud and access them from any PlayStation console.
Is PlayStation Plus Required To Play Online?
- Yes, in most cases, a PlayStation Plus subscription is required to play games online on the PlayStation console. This applies to both single-player and multiplayer games that have an online component. However, there are a few exceptions to this rule.
- Free-to-play games such as Fortnite, Apex Legends, and Warframe do not require a PlayStation Plus subscription for online play. These games are available to anyone with an internet connection and a PlayStation console.
- Some games may offer limited online features without requiring a PlayStation Plus subscription. For example, you might be able to access leaderboards or participate in some online events without needing to pay for the service.
- It’s important to note that while you don’t need PlayStation Plus to play offline or single-player games on your console, you will need it for any multiplayer modes that require an internet connection.
PlayStation Plus Subscription Plans
If you do need a PlayStation Plus subscription to play online, you’ll need to choose one of the available subscription plans. Currently, there are three plans to choose from:
- One-month plan: This plan costs $9.99 per month and provides access to all the benefits of PlayStation Plus for 30 days.
- Three-month plan: This plan costs $24.99 and provides access to all the benefits of PlayStation Plus for three months.
- One-year plan: This plan costs $59.99 and provides access to all the benefits of PlayStation Plus for one year.
Benefits Of PlayStation Plus Membership
While online play is the most common reason for purchasing a PlayStation Plus subscription, there are a number of other benefits to consider as well. Here are a few of the top perks of being a PlayStation Plus member:
- Free Monthly Games: As mentioned earlier, PlayStation Plus members can download a selection of free games each month. These games are often high-quality titles that may have otherwise gone overlooked.
- Exclusive Discounts: PlayStation Plus members can take advantage of exclusive discounts on digital games, DLC, and other content available on the PlayStation Store.
- Early Access to Demos: PlayStation Plus members often get early access to game demos and betas, providing a sneak peek at upcoming titles.
- Online Storage: PlayStation Plus members get access to online cloud storage, allowing them to save their game progress and settings to the cloud and access them from any PlayStation console.
- Share Play: PlayStation Plus members can invite friends to join their game sessions remotely, even if their friend doesn’t own the game.
How To Sign Up For PlayStation Plus
Before we get into the details of whether or not you need PlayStation Plus to play online, let’s quickly go over how to sign up for the service. To subscribe to PlayStation Plus, follow these steps:
- To sign up for PlayStation Plus, you’ll need to have a PlayStation Network account. If you don’t already have one, you can create one by selecting “New User” on your PlayStation console or by visiting the PlayStation website and following the prompts to create an account.
- Once you’ve created your account, navigate to the PlayStation Store on your console or the website and select “PlayStation Plus” from the menu.
- Choose a subscription plan that works for you. PlayStation Plus offers monthly, quarterly, and annual subscription plans.
- Enter your payment information and confirm your purchase to start enjoying all the benefits of PlayStation Plus.
- Once you’ve subscribed to PlayStation Plus, you’ll be able to access a range of exclusive benefits, including free games, early access to demos, and discounts on PlayStation Store purchases. However, the key question for many gamers is whether a PlayStation Plus subscription is necessary to play online.
Alternatives To PlayStation Plus
If you’re not interested in subscribing to PlayStation Plus, there are a few alternatives to consider. Here are a few options:
Xbox Live Gold:
If you also own an Xbox console, Xbox Live Gold provides similar benefits to PlayStation Plus, including online multiplayer, free monthly games, and exclusive discounts.
Nintendo Switch Online:
If you own a Nintendo Switch console, Nintendo Switch Online provides access to online multiplayer, free classic games, and cloud saves.
If you’re primarily a PC gamer, you don’t need a subscription service to play online.
So, do you need a PlayStation Plus subscription to play online? It depends on the game you’re playing. If you’re playing a free-to-play game, you can play online without a subscription. However, if you’re playing a paid game, you’ll need a PlayStation Plus membership to access its online multiplayer modes. Regardless of whether or not you choose to subscribe, PlayStation Plus offers a range of exclusive benefits that are worth considering. So, grab your controller, log in, and start gaming!
How much does a PlayStation Plus subscription cost?
The cost varies depending on the length of the subscription. A 12-month subscription costs $59.99, a 3-month subscription costs $24.99, and a 1-month subscription costs $9.99.
Can I cancel my PlayStation Plus subscription at any time?
Yes, you can cancel your subscription at any time by going to your account settings on the PlayStation Network.
What happens if my PlayStation Plus subscription expires while I’m playing an online game?
If your subscription expires while you’re playing an online game, you’ll lose access to its online multiplayer modes until you renew your membership or purchase another one.