Keeping up with the latest gaming trends is always a challenge. The video game industry is populated with new terminology on a regular basis and things can get confusing fast. For example, how would you feel if someone told you that you couldn’t use a PS4 controller on an Xbox One? Luckily, this isn’t some sort of sinister plan to divide gamers and make them choose sides. In fact, it’s quite the opposite! When it comes to console gaming, there are two primary camps; Xbox One users and PS4 users. This means that when you own a PS4 and want to play games on your Xbox One or vice versa, you might be confused about what kind of controller to use. But don’t worry, we’ve got everything you need to know about using a PS4 controller on an Xbox One or an Xbox One controller on a PS4!
Can You Use A Ps4 Controller On Xbox One?
Yes, you can use a PS4 controller on an Xbox One. The two gaming giants happen to use two different kinds of controllers which is why you might be confused about what to do. The Xbox One uses the newer and more advanced Xbox One controller while the PS4 uses a DualShock 4 controller. This means that they are slightly different in terms of their design and don’t fit into each other’s controllers.
What Is The Difference Between Ps4 And Xbox One?
- The Xbox One was released in November of 2013, while the PS4 was released in November of 2013.
- The Xbox One has a 500 GB hard drive, while the PS4 has a 1 TB hard drive.
- The PS4 has a Blu-Ray player, while the Xbox One does not have one.
- The PS4 costs $100 less than the Xbox One does.
- While the Xbox One is supposed to be able to play games for both itself and previous generations of Microsoft consoles (the 360), it can only play games for itself at this time due to an ongoing lawsuit with Sony (See below).
- Both consoles are capable of playing secondhand games that are downloaded onto them; however, they can only be used on their respective consoles if they were purchased at retail stores or digitally downloaded from their respective online stores. This means that you cannot use a game disc that you purchased for your Xbox 360 on your Xbox One and vice versa with a disc that you purchased for your PS3 or PS4 on your new console; however, if you downloaded it onto your 360 or PS3 digitally, then it will work on either system (as long as there aren’t any other hardware issues). This also means that neither company makes any money off of secondhand sales (which is why they’re trying to get rid of them).
- Neither console requires an Internet connection in order to play games, but both consoles use an Internet connection to download and update games. The Xbox One is supposed to always be connected to the Internet, but Microsoft has said that it will not enforce the connection requirement until 2015. The PS4 does not have this requirement and can be played offline.
- The Xbox One has a new Kinect camera peripheral that comes with it; however, the PS4 does not have any such peripheral at this time.
- Both consoles require a paid subscription for playing online multiplayer matches; however, the PS4 requires a paid subscription for downloading any game demos, while the Xbox One requires a paid subscription for downloading any apps or games that are not first-party titles (like Netflix).
- Both consoles have media streaming capabilities (i.e., you can watch Netflix or Hulu Plus on either system); however, only the Xbox One has an integrated TV tuner so that you can use it as a digital video recorder (DVR) by plugging in an over-the-air antenna and watching live TV on your console or through your console’s app on your smartphone or tablet (which can then be streamed through your home network).
Why Can’t You Use A Ps4 Controller On An Xbox One?
- The PS4 uses Bluetooth to connect its controller to the console, while the Xbox One uses a proprietary technology called “Wi-Fi Direct” (which is also used by the Kinect camera).
- The PS4 controller is smaller than the Xbox One controller (which has a larger touchpad on it) and has different button placements.
- The shoulder buttons on each controller are placed differently; however, you can use an adapter to try and make them work with both consoles.
How To Use A Ps4 Controller On An Xbox One?
- Connect your PS4 controller to your computer using a USB cable.
- Download the “bxAto” application from this website (http://bxato.codeplex.com/) and install it on your computer.
- Run the “BxAto” application and click the “Configure Controller” button on the left-hand side of the screen; then, click the “Enable XInput Wrapper” button and follow the instructions to install it on your computer (if prompted).
- Once installed, double-click on the BxAto icon on your desktop to launch it; then, click the drop-down box in front of “Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows (Controller)” and select “XBOX ONE S Wireless Controller (Controller)” in order to switch between each device type that you have connected to your computer (i.e., you can use either controller with both consoles).
- Press any button on your controller once so that it is recognized by BxAto; then, press buttons A, B, X, Y and Guide at once in order to calibrate it with BxAto; then, press Start + Back + Select + Right Thumbstick in order to exit calibration mode and test out your controller with an Xbox One console!
How To Use An Xbox One Controller On A Ps4?
- Connect the Xbox One controller to your PC using a micro-USB cable.
- Download and install MotioninJoy.
- Download and install DS4Windows.
- Run DS4Windows and choose “Driver Installer” to install the drivers for your controller; then run MotioninJoy, click on “MotioninJoy” in the top left, click on “Advanced Settings,” and change the dropdown to “DualShock 4 (Wireless)” or “DualShock 4 (Bluetooth).”
- You can now use your Xbox One controller with your PS4!
That’s the end of our article on Can You Use A PS4 Controller On Xbox One? Here Is The Answer! While these two consoles may have their differences, they can still get along. If you want to use a PS4 controller on an Xbox One and vice versa, it’s not impossible. You just need to find the right cable or adapter. Don’t forget to share this article with your friends and family who also love gaming!
Q1. What’s the best way to charge a PS4 controller?
A1. There are two ways to charge your PS4 controller: either by using the USB cable that came with your console or by purchasing a charging station for your controller. If you want to use the USB cable, simply plug it into a USB port on your console and into the controller itself; then, press and hold the PS button until a bar appears onscreen to let you know that it’s charging. If you want to use an actual charging station, simply plug it into an electric socket and connect the USB cable that came with your PS4 controller to it; then, place your controller on the dock in order for it to start charging.
Q2. How do I charge my DualShock 4?
A2. You can charge your DualShock 4 by plugging its micro-USB cable into a USB port on any compatible device (e.g., a PC or laptop) or by using its charging dock (which can be purchased separately). Note that you may need an adapter if you want to use an ordinary micro-USB cable; however, there is no need for one if you have purchased Sony’s official dock because it comes with its own adapter!
Q4. How long does it take to charge a PS4 controller?
A4. It usually takes around 3 hours for your PS4 controller to fully charge, though this can vary depending on which charging method you use (e.g., whether or not you are using the charging station).
Q5. What happens if I leave my PS4 controller charging for too long?
A5. You shouldn’t leave your PS4 controller charging for longer than 24 hours, or else it might explode! If you do leave it charging for an extended period of time, just be sure to unplug it and place it back on its dock as soon as possible so that the battery doesn’t get overcharged and damaged by doing so.