The most popular messaging apps make it easy to send GIFs because they know how popular they are. They combine text and images to convey emotion and add context to a conversation.
A GIF is basically a short, looping video clip. Whether using them to send to your friends or family or for marketing purposes, GIFs are a hot favorite. People may not realize that there are several ways to create GIFs on a Mac. Here are some different methods for doing so.
Make A GIF From A Video
GIPHY is a free desktop app you can download from the Mac App Store. It provides an easy way to make GIFs on a Mac. You can edit short videos down to the timeframe you want for your GIF and make a GIF out of the short clip.
- Download and install GIPHY Capture.
- Open the app and open the video you want to use for making the GIF. Make sure the size frame fits the video.
- Record a clip by pressing the red circle for a maximum of 30 seconds.
- Edit the length to between two to six seconds if you want to share the GIF through messaging apps.
- You can leave the preset options, as changing them can affect the quality and file size of the GIF.
- The Captions tab lets you add text captions to your GIFs,
- If you have a GIPHY account, upload the GIF file directly, or you can save it locally to your Mac as a .GIF file.
Permute is another great app that can turn a video into a GIF.
- Open Permute on your Mac
- Select File > Open from the menu bar
- Select the video file you want to convert
- Select Open
- Make sure Permute is set to GIF Animation from the drop-down menu
- Select the Play button in the video’s container.
Turn Images Into a GIF
GlueMotion can help you to turn images into a GIF. With this timelapse maker, you can take photos, import them into GlueMotion and then export them as a video.
- Open GlueMotion on your Mac
- Select Browse Frames
- Choose the images you want to turn into a GIF
- Arrange them in a folder in the order in which you want them to play.
- Select Edit Frames, and you can select if you want a deflickering effect and the file type.
- Select Export Timelapse in the top right of the window.
- Now you have a video file that you can turn into a GIF using Giphy or other tools.
Use The Photos App
Another way to create a GIF on a Mac is by using the Photos app. You need to make sure you use high-quality photos taken on your iPhone for this purpose.
- Open the Photos app on your Mac
- Choose the series of images you want to use for your GIF.
- Click on the File menu and select Export > Export as Animated GIF
- Choose the size and quality of the GIF and click Export.
Using Adobe Photoshop provides yet another way to create GIFs on your Mac that’s a bit complex to explain here. However, there are simpler tools to use that get the job done. Various apps, such as GlueMotion and Permute, can work well together.
Making GIFs is easy when you have the right tools. There are many ways to create GIFs on your Mac. You can use videos, images and even photos you take yourself with your iPhone. Creating GIFs is an engaging way to express yourself and add context to your text messages. Videos have stormed the internet, but GIFs have seen consistent popularity among the audience and continue to woo them like always.